Zoodles Blog Learn and Play Every Day

September 8, 2010

Introducing a new mode for Android phones – Kid Mode

Every smart phone today has an “Airplane Mode” which puts the phone in a state that is safe to use while flying on a plane.  Think about that, your phone has a simple mode that makes it safe to use on an airplane!  Why doesn’t your phone come with more “modes”?!?

Well today Zoodles is launching an entirely new mode for Android phones and we are calling it “Kid Mode”.  With our FREE Kid Mode app (available now in the Android Market) children 8 and under will have access to hundreds of age appropriate games and videos while parents will be able to relax knowing that their kids will no longer accidentally make calls, send emails or delete apps.  This is an app that the whole family will really love!

So here is how it works:
The Zoodles Kid Mode app is a really smart app that adapts to the child using it.  Games and videos are shown to a child based on their age and other optional information provided by parents (such as reading ability).  In addition to adjusting to the age and skills of the child, Kid Mode adjusts to the capabilities of the phone it is being run on.  For instance, on an Android device without Flash, the Zoodles app will detect the missing software and remove games from the system that require Flash.

Here is a sample 4 year old experience where Kid Mode is filled with letter recognition games, counting activities, and interactive storybooks:

4yroldAndroid

Here is a sample 7 year old experience where Kid Mode is filled with fun logic puzzles, language activities, and fraction games.

7yroldAndroid

Here is what a Flash game looks like in Kid Mode:

CaptainCarlos

Protecting your Android Phone:

The optional “Child Lock” feature of Kid Mode means you can hand your Android phone to your child without ever worrying about what they might accidentally do while on the phone (say good bye to random phone calls to the boss, erased emails and deleted apps).  To accomplish this we disable the built-in buttons on your phone, so your child can’t accidentally exit out while they’re playing.  While children can’t accidentally exit when our child lock is enabled parents will be able to exit easily by following on screen instructions that children can’t follow.

So head over to the Android Market on your phone and upgrade your phone with an entirely new mode – Kid Mode!

Finally, I want to say thanks to the team for working hard on this app and to all the kids who tested Kid Mode for us.

Best,

Mark Williamson
CEO & Co-founder of Zoodles
Be Sociable, Share!

10 Comments »

1. I love the idea but when I install it the home button still works when running kid mode – is there any way to disable this? I’m running it on an evo if that matters.

Comment by Preston — September 8, 2010 @ 8:55 am

2. I was just saying to my husband that I wished they had this on the iphone. I can wish can’t I?

Comment by annie — September 8, 2010 @ 9:18 am

3. Hi Preston,

We probably already exchanged notes over at the Tech Crunch article, but just in case others are having difficulty with Kid Mode, here are the steps to activate the Home Lock feature:

1) Launch the App.
    2) On the screen where you pick which child is going to play, tap the Menu button on your phone and draw a Z to enter Settings.
    3) In the Settings menu, select the check box to lock the home button. Then hit back.
    4) Now you will be prompted by Android to allow Kid Mode to take over your Home button (only when the app is running).
    5) Activate the Home Lock feature by tapping “Use by default for this action” and then tapping “Kid Mode”.

If you have any problems just email us: Support [AT] Zoodles . Com

Comment by rachel — September 8, 2010 @ 10:29 am

4. Hi Annie,

We’re working on something for the iPhone and should be announcing it very shortly!!

Maybe wishes do come true :-)

Rachel

Comment by rachel — September 8, 2010 @ 10:32 am

5. Thank you for making the Android app! I have installed it for my daughter and she loves it. Unfortunately, my smartphone does not run flash so we can’t play the games, but she loves the videos!

Comment by taneya — September 22, 2010 @ 10:04 am

6. You should update your iPhone page with the ability to enter an email address and be contacted when the iPhone app launches.

Comment by Don — September 26, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

7. Hi Don,

Sorry we didn’t see this comment sooner! The iPhone app is out now, so check it out if you haven’t already!

Best,
    Rachel

Associate Product Manager

Comment by rachel — October 27, 2010 @ 2:28 pm

8. You’re very welcome! Glad your daughter’s enjoying it :-)

Comment by rachel — October 27, 2010 @ 2:28 pm

9. Yesterday, while I was at work, my sister stole my iPad and tested to see if it can survive a thirty foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now destroyed and she has 83 views. I know this is completely off topic but I had to share it with someone!

Comment by Kerry Nuxoll — July 7, 2012 @ 5:34 pm

10. Since our last update, we have not been able to access any of our kids games on kids mode. We can use the other tabs, just the games are affected. Our five year old really misses his Zoodles!

Thanks,